Re: [SQL] Order by - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Herouth Maoz
Subject Re: [SQL] Order by
Date
List pgsql-sql
At 03:48 +0300 on 02/06/1999, Michael Yeung wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is anyone know that if we allow order-by clause in the view structure.
> If not, how can we take the ordering of the UNION ALL in 2 different bags ?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but ORDER BY shoud not be part of a view, in the
same way it is not a part of a table. A table is defined as an unordered
collection of tuples. In any given query, you can define the order of the
tuples returned. But the table itself is not ordered.

A view should look to the user just like a table. The order of the tuples
is part of the query, not part of the table, and not part of the view.

Herouth

--
Herouth Maoz, Internet developer.
http://telem.openu.ac.il/~herutma